Friday, October 7, 2011

Vegan Cheesecake

Alright guys and girls,  who ever might be reading my blog, thanks for your patience after yesterday's post with my announcement of making a vegan cheesecake!
I'm happy to present you the results...


Hubby's comment was "It has potential" *lol* while the biggest shocker for me was that not only my daughter liking it (she loves food in general most of the time) but my son who is the pickiest of picky eaters!!! He asked for a second piece later in the day!!! =)

Ok, without further ado, here's the recipe:

~* Vegan Cheesecake *~

Ingredients:
*Graham cracker ready-made 9" pie crust or make your own
*1 1/2 boxes of packed (Mori-Nu) firm silken tofu
*1/2 c soy milk [I only had almond milk]
*1/2 c sugar (vegan, obviously)
*1 Tbsp vanilla extract
*2 Tbsp lemon juice
*1 tsp lemon zest (I had none but should have!)
*2 Tbsp flour
*1/4 c maple syrup (I only had table syrup *blush*)

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
2) In a blender combine all ingredients 
Blend until smooth and pour into pie crust
3) Bake for ~30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, 
refrigerate until chilled.

! Some notes of advice ! 
I only had 1 pck of firm silken tofu and the other one was soft. It did work so-so ok, but I'm sure with both packs being the firm ones, it'd have been a little less runny!
I'm not sure if the use of soy or any other plant milk makes a difference, but I'm sure using table syrup instead of the 'real deal' does!
I also only used 1 Tbsp of lemon juice and had no zest.. but I think a bit more lemon juice + zest would have improved the flavor!
I added some canned cherries just to 'spice up' the picture a bit..otherwise it's not my 'cup of tea', personally.

Being a cheesecake lover of both, the German as well as of the American version, I'm pretty happy with the outcome of my 1st try! ;-)

Bon Appetit!








4 comments:

  1. Val, it looks great! I would love to try this recipe. Is table syrup fake maple syrup? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lee! :)
    I think table syrup is fake maple syrup.. I honestly bought it only because our store on base didn't have the real maple and this table syrup has no high fructose corn syrup. (Something I try to avoid when possible)
    I'll have to try it again with the real maple syrup soon to see if it makes a difference!
    Let me know how you liked your results! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful! Way to go winning your son over ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cassie! :)
    I was very happy too! ;)

    ReplyDelete